Mother’s day special and my first time with cream layered cake. This wholewheat butterless carrot cake is very moist, super delicious and my family just loved it!!
It has hint of fresh ginger and freshly grounded cinnamon which just fills the freshness and pleasant aroma in your house. I have not baked for few weeks now and so I thought Mother’s day could be a perfect day – my son loves carrot cake and it was his demand!!
I thought of trying something different than the regular carrot cake I bake and hence decided to add the cream cheese layer on top (Inspired from one of the bakery nearby)
This one is not eggless but ofcourse you can make the eggless version by adding some baking powder as well as milk with an appropriate quantity!
I’ve baked carrot cake many times, but this one turned out to be the best till date – may be because it was for an occasion!! I don’t grate carrots too finely because we love the texture of carrots in the cake and it also brings lightness to the cake. Even though this is completely wholewheat, but the moisture from the carrot makes it very soft and spongy!!
The recipe is very simple and I’ve tried to list the ingredients in order of actual preparation process to keep it easier. I normally use half sugar and honey for the sweetness but this time I’ve added applesauce as well because I had it at home. You could replace it completely with honey with appropriate quantity!
▪ 2 cups whole wheat flour
▪ 1 teaspoon cinnamon + for dusting
▪ 2 teaspoon baking soda
▪ 1/2 teaspoon salt
▪ 3/4 cup sugar
▪ 3/4 cup apple sauce
▪ 1/2 cup honey
▪ 4 eggs
▪ 1/2 – 3/4 cup olive oil
▪ 400 gms carrot
▪ 2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
For cream layering and topping
▪ 125 gm cream cheese
▪ 1/2 cup sugar
▪ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
▪ 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
▪ Preheat oven to 350F
▪ Grease two 7.5″ x 7.5″ square tins (you can choose the shape you like)
▪ Sift through whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon through Seive (Ingredients A)
▪ With electric blender or whisk mix olive oil, sugar, eggs, apple sauce and honey until well blended. (Ingredients B, I prefer to use electric blender)
▪ Mix well the dry ingredients (Ingredients A) with Ingredients B
▪ Grate the carrots and finally mix into the prepared batter. (Make sure you don’t shift the carrot too many times from one bowl to another, this reduces the moisture)
▪ Mix in the carrots well and add grated ginger. ▪ The mixture will be of medium consistency. The carrots hold enough moisture to make if moist.
▪ Pour the batter in tins and bake for about 30 minutes.
▪ Since baking time differs from oven to oven, make sure you keep a check after 20 mintues.
check through a thin stick (pierce thin stick into the cake and it should come out clean without any residue on the stick) and once it’s clean, the cake is done.
▪ Let it stand for few minutes and then let it cool on a wire rack.
The cake is ready to eat and relish, if you do not want to add the cream layering.
▪ For cream layer, mix well all the ingredients (listed above for cream layering) untill you get a nice creamy texture. The cheese should ideally be at room temperature.
▪ Once the cake is cooled, trim the edges to make it perfect from the sides.
▪ With the help of knife, also flatten the cake from top so that the other cake fits well on top.
▪ Spread the prepared cream on base cake layer and then place another cake piece on top.
▪ Similarly spread cream consistently on the top layer.
▪ Dust with cinnamon the way you like. I tried making hearts but it didn’t work out well so finally I dusted with cinnamon through seive.
An amazingly amazing, moist, full of texture, with a little spice from ginger, and aroma… the cake is ready!!
Enjoy and happy mothers day to all mommies!! Would love to get your feedback and comments!