Vermicelli (sewai/jawe) can be considered as Indian pasta very similar to sphagetti in thickness but it’s very small in length and little bit thin as compared to sphagetti. You can easily get it in any supermarket. In India, we cook in many forms from sour and spicy to even sweet. I never tasted salted vermicelli until few years ago when my mother in law cooked for me and actually I discovered the dish because of her. Though there are some parts in India, where this dish is very common, it wasn’t very common for me!
You can add lot of spices and nuts and can even cook it simple with just salt, pepper and lemon juice. Today this one is simply cooked with little spicy flavour of green chilli and with a little tangy flavour of lemon! It’s a good option for breakfast and you can make its as per your taste by adding the vegetables you like.
|Ingredients| to serve 2-3
▪ 1 cup uncooked vermicelli
▪ 1/2 cup onion thinly sliced
▪ 1/2 cup finely chopped peppers or vegetable of your choice
▪ 4-6 spinach leaves
▪ 2-3 teaspoon lemon juice
▪ 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
▪ 2 green chillies
▪ 8-10 curry leaves
▪ Salt and pepper to taste
▪ 2 teaspoon cooking oil
▪ Boil water in an open pan, slit green chillies and add to the water.
▪ In meantime dry roast the vermicelli
▪ Once the water boils, add cooled vermicelli, few drops of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
▪ Cook open for 4-5 minutes.
▪ Drain vermicelli in a colander and run through cold water.(Cooking of vermicelli is similar to that of any pasta, only the cooking time is less)
▪ Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
▪ After few seconds, add onion and fry till golden brown and then add peppers.
▪ Fry on medium to high flame and don’t let peppers cook too much.
▪ Finally add boiled vermicelli, salt to taste, pepper and mix well and cook for few minutes.
▪ Add lemon juice and chopped spinach leaves, mix well and serve.
Boiling green chillies in water, gives a little spicy flavour to the dish and lemon juice adds to the tangy flavour. A healthy simple and easy breakfast is ready!