Nothing can beat a caramel – and home made caramel with a flavor of sea salt stimulate the buds with not so sweet flavor.
I made these caramels for the first time and my family loved it. Its easy, simple and straightforward recipe and i got it from one of the food books I was recently reading.
I’ve only replaced condensed milk with low fat condensed milk and have used light corn syrup. You can make accommodations as per your choice.
|Ingredients| (Makes approx 40 small squares)
▪ 1 stick unsalted butter
▪ 1/2 cup light corn syrup
▪ 1 cup confectioners sugar
▪ 7 Oz condensed milk
▪ 2 teaspoon cocoa powder (I used Hershey)
▪ 2-3 teaspoon sea salt
▪ Melt butter on medium heat on a pan.
▪ Add sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt and mix well.
▪ Keep stirring on medium heat until well blended.
▪ Increase heat a little and bring to boil, stirring in between.
▪ Further reduce the heat to medium till a thermometer temperature of 250 is reached. It will roughly take about 15 minutes.
▪ If you do not have a thermometer, take a bowl filled with chilled iced water and after around 15 minutes drop little mixure into cold water. Take it out after few seconds and check the hardness.
▪ It should be hard enough to retain its shape. The more you cook (higher temperature), harder it will get after cooling. Once the mixture reaches the desired temperature (or hardness in iced water test) turn off the flame.
▪ Grease a 4″×8″ rectangular tin and pour the mixture in there.
▪ Allow it to cool at room temperature, do not keep it in the fridge.
▪ Once cooled, cut into squares and sprinkle sea salt. Wrap the squares in butter sheet and store.