I still remember the best vegetarian lasagna I ever had and that was in one little Italian restaurant in the UK. I’ve tried lasagna at many places after that but never really liked and then finally I stopped eating outside because I could never find the perfect taste.
I love alfredo sauce vegetable lasagna with garlic and spinach. The one I’ve baked here is brown rice pasta with homemade sauce with garlic and spinach. I’ve opted for brocoli, cauliflower, sliced red onions, carrots and some beans.
Layered with creamy rice sauce and oodles of vegetables, I loved every flavour in it and it was a success because my four year old liked it as well. (Except broccoli :)) This sauce is made without any refined wheat flour and I’ve used cream cheese to get the thickness blended with other ingredients.
I decided to use a deep dish as we like lot of vegetables within layers but you could choose to bake in any dish you like.
For white sauce
▪ 1-2 tablespoon butter.
▪ 2 teaspoon garlic cloves, finely chopped.
▪ 1/4 cup baby spinach or as required (optional).
▪ 1/3 low fat cream cheese.
▪ 2/3 cup whole milk or as required.
▪ 1/3 cup low fat freshly grated Parmesan.
▪ Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
For vegetable mix
▪ 2 teaspoon garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
▪1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced.
▪ 1 cup broccoli florets, thinned out to bite size.
▪ 1/2 cup cauliflower florets, thinned out to bite size.
▪ 1/2 cup carrots (and beans optional) thinly sliced lengthwise.
▪ 8-10 sheets of lasagna pasta cooked as per manufacturer’s directions.
▪ Oil spray as required
▪ Preheat oven to 375F
▪ In a thick bottom pan, melt butter and saute garlic and spinach leaves.
▪ Add milk and let it warm.
▪ Add cream cheese and cook until cheese is fully mixed.
▪ Finally add parmesan cheese and cook for few minutes until sauce thickens.
▪ Season with salt and freshly crushed pepper to taste.
▪ If the sauce is too thick, add some milk as required.
▪ Reduce the heat to minimum to keep it warm and to avoid getting it too thick.
▪ Simultaneously spray oil in a pan and saute garlic. ▪ Add onion and saute for a minute.
▪ Add all vegetable and cook for 5-8 minutes on high flame, stirring in between. Add very little salt and pepper to avoid. (The sauce and cooked pasta sheets will already have some salt)
▪ Grease a rectangular dish or any dish of your choice.
▪ Pour almost half cup of prepared sauce and lay two layers of the pasta sheets.
▪ Layer the prepared sautéed vegetables, almost an inch and a half thick, or as per your liking.
▪ Place another layer of pasta sheet on top of vegetables and pour some sauce on it.
▪ Again layer similarly, by keeping the sautéed vegetables and layering with pasta sheet.
▪ Pour remaining sauce on the top and cover it completely from top.
▪ Season with little salt and pepper.
▪ Bake for almost 45 minutes or until you get a golden crust on the top.
▪ Serve hot!
Enjoy the guilt free indulgence of lasagna pasta with your favorite vegetables, layered with brown rice pasta sheets and low fat home made white cheese sauce! ♡