Full of fiber, protein and other nutrients and low on carbohydrates, these green gram flour savory pancakes are perfect to start your day. Enriched with the goodness of tofu, they tastes great with any accompaniment of your choice.
I’ve used green gram whole flour which is easily available or you could make it at home by soaking the lentil and then grinding. I’ve used ready flour because that works well when you want to prepare it quickly.
For filling I’ve used tofu, scrambled with some white onion, green chilies, spinach and basic spices. You can use any vegetable you like or mushroom.
▪ 1 cup whole green gram flour
▪ 400 gm Tofu/nearly 2 cups
▪ 1/2 chopped spinach
▪ 1 teaspoon green chillies finely chopped
▪ 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
▪ Salt and pepper to taste
▪ 1 teaspool oil + Oil spray
For the filling
▪ In warm salty water, soak tofu for 15 minutes. Drain and let it stand in colander.
▪ In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds when hot.
▪ Add green chillies and onion and fry for about a minute and add tofu, scrambling by hand.
▪ Add chopped spinach, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and turn off the heat after 5-8 minutes or until mixture is completely dry.
▪ Make batter of green gram flour with 2 cups of water. ▪ Adjust the quantity of water so that it’s neither too runny nor thick. Its a little less thick than a pan cake batter.
To make pancakes
▪ Take a girdle, heat and spray some oil.
▪ With a laddle, pour some batter and rotate the pan to get an even thickness all around. You can also use your spoon. I prefer taking a 6″ pan with edges as it works well.
▪ After few seconds, add prepared filling evenly and fold the pancake to make a semi circle.
▪ Cook until golden brown and crisp from both sides.
▪ Serve hot with cilantro dip or any dip of your choice.