With summers around and long days, these cheese skewers are good option for barbecue and tastes great when oven roasted too. Marinated for few hours with yogurt and spices gives a great blend of spices and little tangy flavour to the the cheese and vegetables.
I’ve used tofu, peppers and red onion but it tastes great with cottage cheese (paneer) too. In India, paneer is used in variety of dishes and is considered a must dish for special gatherings. I normally use tofu over cottage cheese wherever I can and wherever the taste is not compromised. These skewers tastes great with tofu too! This can be well prepared in advance and refrigerated until use.
▪ 2 cups Tofu cut into cubes
▪ 2 cup mixed vegetables cut into cubes (I used peppers and onions)
▪ 1/2 cup thick yogurt
▪ 2 teaspoon gram flour
▪ 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
▪ 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
▪ 1 teaspoon green chillies finely chopped
▪ 1 teaspoon grated ginger
▪ 1 teaspoon white pepper
▪ 2 teaspoon lemon juice
▪ Salt and pepper to taste plus for seasoning
▪ Oil as required
▪ Small wooden skewers as required (10-15)
▪ Mix well all the ingredients of marination and coat the vegetables and tofu properly
▪ Add little yogurt if required
▪ Let it stand for atleast two hours.
▪ Preheat oven to 350F
▪ Arrange the marinated vegetables and tofu on skewers alternatively with tofu and vegetables. Spray oil on prepared skewers.
▪ Grill in oven on oiled tray for 15-20 minutes or roast on tandoor or BBQ
▪ Rotate once in about 8-10 mins
▪ Sprinkle some seasoning and lemon juice on top and serve hot!