This came out as a planned dinner when I got a big box of fresh homegrown basil from a friend. My husband saw and he requested a pesto pizza with fresh leaves on top. To add little more flavor, I added some low fat feta cheese with parmesan shavings.
To make it a low carb dinner, I replaced the whole wheat flour pizza base with soybean flour and flax seeds pizza base. This is quite simple and easy, you don’t require yeast and yet very delicious and ofcourse healthy too. Also, this is very quick to make. Flax seeds adds a little crunchiness to the base and tastes great too.
|Ingredients| (to make appropriately two 7-8″)
▪ 1.5 cup soybean flour
▪ 1/4 cup flax seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
▪ 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
▪ 1/4 cup water or as required
▪ 2 eggs
▪ 2 teaspoon olive oil
▪ Salt to taste
For pizza toppings
▪ 1.5 cup mixed vegetables cubed (peppers, onion and mushroom)
▪ 1/2 cup pesto (for the recipe of pesto click here
▪ 1/2 cup basil leaves
▪ 1/3 cup low fat feta cheese
▪ 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shavings or as required
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Olive oil required for sautéing and greasing
▪ Preheat oven to 350F
▪ Mix soybean flour, flax seeds, crushed oregano, italian seasoning and salt to taste.
▪ Add eggs and mix well.
▪ Add little water to make it a paste, shouldn’t be runny, it will be little sticky though.
▪ Add 2 teaspoon olive oil and mix well.
▪ Grease baking sheet on tray and with hands using little water, spread the prepared mixture.
▪ You should get two 6-8″ pizza bases from this.
▪ Make sure it’s even from all sides
▪ Bake for 15-20 minutes or until little golden. Take it out and increase the oven temperature to 375F.
▪ Simultaneously, heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and roast the chopped vegetables on medium to high heat, flipping often.
▪ Once you get nice color on vegetables turn off the heat.
▪ Spread pesto sauce on the base and scatter vegetables on top.
▪ Put basil leaves and scrambled feta cheese on top.
▪ Finally cover with parmesan shavings, as per your preference. I don’t cover the whole pizza.
▪ Bake for 20-25 minutes untill the cheese bubbles.
▪ Serve hot!