This recipe comes from my sister’s kitchen who is a great cook! Her recipes are tried and time tested! Me and my family loves this dish like anything and it’s one of my favorite cottage cheese dish.
Even though the Indian delicacies are full of aromatic spices are flavors, the flavors in this dish are very simple and are actually of Kali mirch (black pepper. The gravy is cooked with onion, cashews, poppy seeds and yogurt. The only spices used here is salt and pepper!! The pepper itself enhances the flavor and cashews grinded with other ingredients infuses the cottage cheese with a nice flavor. This is one of few recipes where you don’t want to replace cottage cheese with tofu because this tastes perfect with cottage cheese!
|Ingredients| serves 2-3
▪ 1 cup cottage cheese cubed (400gm)
▪ 1 big onion, cut into big cubes
▪ 3/4 cup yogurt
▪ 1/2 cup cashews soaked in warm water for an hour
▪ 2 teaspoon poppy seeds soaked in warm water for an hour
▪ 2 dry red chillies
▪ 2 teaspoon black pepper
▪ 2 teaspoon oil
▪ 1/4 cup milk, if required
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Boil onion in water for 5 minutes.
▪ Once cooled, puree strained onion in a food processor with yogurt, cashews and poppy seeds.
▪ Adjust with little milk if too thick.
▪ Heat oil in a pan, once hot, add cumin seeds and dry red chillies.
▪ Add black pepper and add the prepared mixure and let it cook for 10-15 minutes on low to medium heat. If the gravy thickness too much, adjust with little milk.
▪ On a non stick pan spray some oil and roast cottage cheese cubes until light brown and add to the gravy.
▪ Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes and serve hot with Indian flatbread.