Tawa vegetables is a very famous dish in India, particularly at weddings and functions. Tawa or skillet is where these vegetables are slowly cooked until served. Stuffed tomatoes, okra, egg plants are few of the famous tawa vegetables. This stuffed cauliflower tomato is inspired from there. They are very mild in flavor and can be eaten by itself without any flatbread.
My mom use to make these with potatoes and cottage cheese. I’ve tried with sautéed cauliflower with pumpkin seeds and this tasted great. The flavors are mild and tomatoes are cooked until nearly done. The pumpkin seed adds to a different flavor.
▪ 4 hard tomatoes
▪ 1 cup cauliflower
▪ 1 small red onion, finely chopped
▪ 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon coriander powder
▪ 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
▪ 2 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon oil + spray
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Steam the cauliflower until cooked
▪ Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds once hot
▪ Add onion and pumpkin seeds and saute until light brown. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, steamed cauliflower and salt to taste.
▪ Mix well and with the help of spoon mash cauliflower a little. Let it cook for sometime without covering it.
▪ Scoop out the tomatoes with help of a peeler or a knife without cutting the outer cover
▪ Stuff tightly with the prepared stuffing.
▪ Heat a pan and spray some oil. Cook these stuffed tomatoes on medium to high heat until light brown, make sure they don’t start to leave water.