Paneer pakodas or cottage cheese fritters is a very popular Indian snack – be it home prepared or prepared road side in India! I have love for fritters, be it cauliflower, potatoes, onion , beans or cottage cheese! They are also considered as a special snack during any special social event in India. Traditionally, they are layered with some cilantro dip, covered with gram flour and then deep fried.
This is a baked version of cottage cheese fritters. So it’s healthy and tastes almost as good as deep fried ones too. I’ve used low fat cottage cheese and applied a spicy cilantro dip and coated with seasoned gram flour, baked until brown and crisp.
▪ 1 cup cottage cheese cubes into thin rectangular pieces (16 pieces)
▪ 1 cup gram flour
▪ 1 teaspoon carom seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
▪ 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
▪ 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chillies
▪ 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
▪ 1/4 cup cilantro dip (dhaniye ki chutney)
▪ 1/2 cup water (adjusted)
▪ 1 teaspoon black salt (optional)
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Oil spray
▪ Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet on baking tray and spray some oil.
▪ In a bowl, mix gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt together.
▪ Add water slowly to make a thick consistent paste. Adjust the quantity of water as required.
▪ Add green chillies and cilantro and mix well.
▪ Apply cilantro dip on one thinned out slice of cottage cheese and place another cottage cheese slice on top of it like a sandwich.
▪ Coat with the gram flour paste and place it neatly on the baking tray. Spray some oil.
▪ Repeat for all the pieces.
▪ Bake for 15-20 minutes or until brown and crisp, flipping once in between.
▪ Sprinkle with black salt and serve hot with your favorite dip!
Like to try beans fritters?