‘Aloo beans’ or ‘Potato beans’ is a favorite indian vegetable usually served as a side dish during a complete meal. This is a simple, delicious and a healthy dish full of nutrients and fiber. We generally avoid potatoes at home but beans taste good with potatoes. Added in the end are juicy, ripe home grown tomatoes, which adds to the color, as well as to the taste of the vegetable.
I’ve used basic Indian spices which includes coriander, turmeric and red chiili powder along with some cumin seeds. Onion enhances the flavor and is an antioxidant too, so it is mostly included in all my recipes. Serve with Indian flatbread or as a wrap with tortilla, the way you like. Best accompaniments are cucumber yogurt and Indian flatbread!
▪ 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
▪ 1 cup beans, washed, dried and finely chopped
▪ 1 medium potatoes, halved and thinly sliced
▪ 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
▪ 1 teaspoon grated ginger
▪ 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chillies
▪ 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
▪ 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
▪ 1 teaspoon coriander powder
▪ 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
▪ 2 teaspoon cooking oil
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Cilantro to garnish
▪ In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds and asafoetida when hot.
▪ Add onion, ginger and green chilies and Sauté untill light brown
▪ Add all the dry spices and saute for a minute.
▪ Add potatoes,beans, half of the tomatoes and cook on high flame for 3-5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
▪ Reduce the heat and semi cover the pan and cook untill beans and potatoes are nearly cooked (approximately 8-10 minutes). Do not completely cover the pan to retain the color of beans
▪ Add tomatoes appropriately and cook for few minutes, don’t let the tomatoes over cook (they should just be soft and tender but nearly in shape)
▪ Serve hot with Indian flatbread!