Tofu and feta cheese stuffed baked
aubergine/eggplant! I never liked aubergines when I was kid and I remeber eating famous ‘baigan ka bharta’ in college when my friends use to get it for lunch, that was something new for me as my mom never cooked because we never liked the vegetable itself. Till date I only eat that form of aubergine and these stuffed ones!
I’ve explored these with many variety of stuffing and cheese but what I like the most is the combination of tofu and feta cheese with parmesan and some onions and baby spinach on top! I’ve used basic spices so you get a very distinct flavor of feta cheese and parmesan cheese. This is good as starters or even as main course if you serve with salad!
▪ 1 medium eggplant
▪ 1/2 cup scrambled tofu
▪ 1/2 cup feta cheese
▪ 1 small onion sliced
▪ Few leaves of baby spinach
▪ 1/3 cup parmesan cheese or as required
▪ 1 teaspoon whole pepper crushed coarsely
▪ Salt and pepper to taste
▪ Preheat oven to 350F
▪ Cut aubergine into halves and scoop out from inside. I didnt use the scooped out part, but if you like you can use it after steaming or roasting for few minutes.
▪ Grease both sides of cut aubergine (outside and inside) and sprinkle some salt.
▪ In a big bowl, mix feta cheese and scrambled tofu, few leaves of spinach and add salt and pepper to taste.
▪ Stuff aubergine full with the prepared mixture.
▪ Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and layer with onion slices and baby spinach.
▪ Again layer with parmesan cheese until you cover onions properly or as desired. Sprinkle the coarsely grinded pepper.
▪ Layer the baking sheet with butter paper and spray some oil and sprinkle some salt to avoid any sticking.
▪ Bake for 20 minutes, keep a check after 15 minutes or so and bake till perfection. Baking time differs a bit from oven to oven so keep a regular check.
Perfectly baked stuffed aubergine is ready for you to enjoy!