Made on a whole wheat pita, with oodles of vegetables, some falafel and hummus, this open sub is a great dinner with lots of nutritional value. Usually we stuff falafels, hummus and salad inside the pita bread but this one comes as an open sub with generous serving of vegetables and will leave you with a craving to eat more but you wouldn’t have more room to eat!
All accompaniments are made at home including the pita, however if you just want a quick dinner you can use pita from market. Since my little one also enjoys salad now, it was good change for him too. He liked the crispy falafels and loved the garlic hummus. This can be made in advance if you are planning it for guests and just put together at the time of serving!
▪ 1 whole wheat pita bread
▪ 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (pepper and onions)
▪ 1/3 cup hummus
▪ 1/3 cup chickpeas (boiled or canned) to make falafel
▪ 2 teaspoon garlic
▪ 2 teaspoon feta cheese (optional)
▪ 1 teaspoon sliced olives
▪ 1 teaspoon lemon juice
▪ 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
▪ Oil for frying falafels
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Make falafel mixture by mashing chickpeas with either a salsa maker or potato masher until nearly done.
▪ Add crushed garlic, lemon juice and salt to the mashed chickpeas.
▪ Heat oil to medium to high temperature, and using a spoon drop small scoops of prepared falafel mixture.
▪ Fry until cooked and let it stand on tissue paper.
▪ Cut all vegetables lengthwise (Julians) and then sauté with very little olive oil on high heat until half done. Do not cover the pan. Keep aside once half done.
▪ Warm a pita and spread some hummus on it and scatter the prepared falafel.
▪ Top it up with sautéed vegetables and some feta cheese and sliced olives.
▪ You can garnish with little olive oil and serve.
▪ You can also keep in broiler for five minutes and then serve.