Cauliflower broccoli cheese bake is an excellent option for a filling dinner without eating too much on carbohydrates. Layered with homemade cheese sauce and some mushroom and spinach, this is great as a side dish too. The florets are bring down to bite size pieces with minimal seasoning.
To prepare the sauce, I used some left over vegetable soup as base, you can use vegetable stock or even chicken stock. This is flavored with some garlic and spinach and thickened with some whole wheat flour and cream cheese. The basic aromatic flavors of garlic and spinach blends perfectly in the sauce.
|Ingredients|– serves 2
▪ 1.5 cup cauliflower and broccoli florets, thinned to bite size pieces.
▪ 3-4 mushrooms, thinly sliced.
▪ 1/2 cup spinach, blanched and randomly chopped.
▪ 2 cups vegetable/chicken stock (i added some mushroom soup as well)
▪ 1 medium onion, finely chopped
▪ 2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
▪ 2 teaspoon whole wheat flour
▪ 4 oz low fat cream cheese
▪ 1 teaspoon black pepper
▪ 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
▪ 1/3 cup cheese of your choice
▪ 2 teaspoon olive oil
▪ Salt to taste
▪ Preheat oven to 375 F. In a pan heat oil and add garlic and onion and saute untill light brown.
▪ Add spinach and mix well. Add the whole wheat flour and saute for few minutes.
▪ Once you get a nice aroma, add the vegetable stock and cook for 5-10 minutes. It should get to thicken. Season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes.
▪ Add cream cheese and mix well using a whisker.
Remove from the heat.
▪ In a pan, on high heat sauté cauliflower, broccoli and mushroom and season with little salt.
▪ In a baking dish (I used rectangular) make a layer of prepared sautéed vegetables and pour some prepared sauce and sprinkle some cheese.
▪ Add another layer of vegetables and finally top it up with remaining sauce. Sprinkle some cheese and bake for nearly 40 – 45 minutes on the middle rack. Should you wish you can scatter some small butter cubes on top.
▪ Make sure you keep a check after 35 minutes as baking time differs from oven to oven. You should get a nice brown color on top.
▪ Serve hot!