A surprise dish for evening when you have lots of vegetables at home and still don’t know what to cook. While thinking of some cooking ideas I was looking in my pantry and I found a wholewheat graham pie crust in my cupboard which I bought during the Easter time to make something special! I decided to go for a vegetable quiche. I knew that the taste would be little different because it’s a graham cracker crust. But to my surprise it came out better than I expected! The not so cheesy filling and loads of vegetables, perfectly sautéed and then baked till perfection tasted great! In fact, my little one loved the hint of sweet flavor in the base! You can explore other bases, make your own or use what suits your taste buds.
I used very finely chopped mushrooms and Julienne of pepper and onion, along with broccoli florets. I sautéed and then baked them with a homemade white sauce flavored with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and all spice.
▪ 1 graham cracker pie crust
▪ 1 cup mixed pepper julienne
▪ 1/2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
▪ 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
▪ 1/2 broccoli florets
▪ 1 teaspoon olive oil
▪ Salt to taste
For the white sauce
▪ 1 teaspoon butter
▪ 2 teaspoons wholewheat flour
▪ 1 cup milk
▪ 1/2 cup low fat cream cheese – room temperature
▪ 1 teaspoon all spice
▪ 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
▪ Salt and pepper to taste
▪ Preheat oven to 375F
▪ In a pan heat oil and sauté pepper, onion and mushrooms on high heat until little cooked but still crunchy.
▪ Remove the pan and transfer vegetables to the pie crust.
▪ In the same pan melt butter and saute flour until raw smell of flour is no more there.
▪ Add milk and mix well so that no lumps are formed and the sauce gets little thick.
▪ Finally add cream cheese and mix properly and season with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and all spice.
▪ Pour the sauce over vegetables on the pie crust
▪ Place some broccoli florets on top and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown
▪ Make sure to keep a check after 35 minutes as baking time differs from oven to oven.
▪ Serve hot